Monday, November 22, 2010

The Blank Stare.

Every week I receive at least one request for 'pointers' on how we run a successful portrait studio. 90% of the inquiries request if they can shadow me for a few hours or days. The others simply want a simple "1, 2, 3 Step by Step "How to photograph pets!" instruction sheet. The request happened already this week (Monday morning via email) from a couple of photographers I met in passing a few months ago (they live out of state).

In most cases my first question to the aspiring pet photographer is "What do you REALLY love to photograph? What are you most passionate about? What do you want to do with your life in One, Five and Ten years from now?" Most of these questions earn an answer "I don't really know." That answer is sad to me.

I often get a Blank Stare when I answer the question about my success, which is:

"Success isn't measured by a bank account.

My success is related to my love for animals first and foremost. I knew I had a connection with four-legged companions long before I developed my photography passion.

When I decided to pave my path in photography, I committed to working 70+ hour weeks more than 20 years ago - because I Love Doing This Work. I was designed to do it. I'm blessed to be able to do it. Not one day passes where I don't think "My God, I am so fortunate." Not because of money (we've had some tough times over the years like everyone else) but because I'm blessed to be able to meet people and animal companions who love and adore each other. And I have the ability to give them something they'll treasure forever (for generations)."

There seems to be a glamorous mystique about the success of Alaska Pet-ography. And in this day and age, lots of photographers (some are well-established and very good at what they do) want an easy way to do what we do at my studio. They want the recognition, the reputation and I often get the impression that the primary motivation is to increase their photography profits.

I was the first in Alaska to introduce the idea of pet portraits. Wow - there were skeptics. My parents were always supportive but I could tell, early on, that they were hoping I would hold onto my day job. "How can someone make a living photographing dogs!!???" They were certainly proud watching as I proved it could be done.

My point for revealing this is to encourage others to follow their heart, to understand their passions, to grab them with gusto and let them lead you to 'success.' Failure absolutely trips us up along the way. Embrace that failure! You tried it. You learned from it! Now - go do it again!

The Blank Stare usually reflects disappointment that I haven't answered the real question they wanted to ask which is: "How can I make trunk loads of money doing what you're doing??" (Believe me, my trunk is rusty, worn and not overflowing with Pet-ography profits.)

The adage "Money isn't Everything" is true to this day. "Everything" is doing what your heart believes is right and making a difference in the lives of people and their companions whenever possible.

Not everyone is 'designed' to do what I do. But everyone is designed to do something beautifully.

1 comment:

  1. Oh whoa! it is awesome to know that people out there genuinely follow their heart and their passion.
    This is really the message I needed to read today as I am embarking on a journey to follow my dreams...
    Thanks for sharing.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete